Parts of Speech / Articles
Articles
There are lots of rules about the use of articles. Here we’ll
concentrate on 3 golden rules. Most mistakes with articles are made through
breaking one of these rules.
1. When we say what people’s jobs are, we use a/an
· She’s an architect.
· He’s a doctor.
· My grandfather was a teacher.
2. Singular, countable nouns always have an article – a/an or
the – or another determiner (my, your, this, that etc.)
Remember that we use the indefinite article - a/an - when we talk about something that is not definite.
Remember that we use the indefinite article - a/an - when we talk about something that is not definite.
· I saw a good film yesterday. The
listener doesn’t know which film.
· There’s a man at the door. We
don’t know who the man is.
· Do you want a drink? It’s not a
particular drink.
… and we use the definite article - the – when we talk about
something more certain.
· I’m going to take the dog for a
walk. The dog is a pet – it’s not just any dog.
· Have you seen the car key?
Speaker and listener know which car. It’s not just any car.
· They live in the house opposite
ours. There’s only one house opposite. It’s not any house.
3. When we talk about things in general we usually use a plural
noun or an uncountable noun with no article.
· Birds eat worms. NOT The
birds eat the worms.
· Water flows downhill.
· Kangaroos live in Australia.
BUT We went to the zoo and saw the kangaroos. These are
particular kangaroos – not kangaroos in general.
There are many other rules about articles but remembering these 3 golden rules will reduce the number of mistakes you make.
There are many other rules about articles but remembering these 3 golden rules will reduce the number of mistakes you make.
Special places
· My son’s at university but my
daughter still goes to school.
· He was sent to prison for 10
years.
· Now that winter’s here I find it
difficult to get out of bed.
· I go to work by bus but I go
home on foot.
In expressions with a number of places there is no article after
a preposition.
These places include: to/at school, to/at university/college, to/in church, to/in/out of prison, to/in hospital, to/in/out of bed, to/at work, at home.
NOTE: While we say ‘go to school’ and ‘go to work’ etc, the expression ‘go home’ has neither ‘the’ nor ‘to’.
Transport
These places include: to/at school, to/at university/college, to/in church, to/in/out of prison, to/in hospital, to/in/out of bed, to/at work, at home.
NOTE: While we say ‘go to school’ and ‘go to work’ etc, the expression ‘go home’ has neither ‘the’ nor ‘to’.
Transport
· I go to work by bus but I go
home on foot.
· I hate travelling by train.
Modes of transport (by bus, by train, by car, by plane, by bicycle)
don’t have an article. Notice that on foot is different.
Geography
No article – continents (Africa, Asia etc.) countries (France, Germany, Slovakia etc - but the Slovak Republic, the United States, the United Kingdom) towns & cities (Bratislava, London etc.) lakes (Lake Victoria, Lake Balaton etc.) universities (Oxford University, Nitra University etc.)
With ‘the’ – seas & oceans (the Atlantic, the Mediterranean etc.) mountain ranges (the Himalayas, the Tatras) rivers (the Amazon, the Danube etc.)
Other expressions
Geography
No article – continents (Africa, Asia etc.) countries (France, Germany, Slovakia etc - but the Slovak Republic, the United States, the United Kingdom) towns & cities (Bratislava, London etc.) lakes (Lake Victoria, Lake Balaton etc.) universities (Oxford University, Nitra University etc.)
With ‘the’ – seas & oceans (the Atlantic, the Mediterranean etc.) mountain ranges (the Himalayas, the Tatras) rivers (the Amazon, the Danube etc.)
Other expressions
· I don’t watch television very
often but I listen to the radio all the time.
· I’ve got a headache.
· I’ve got a stomach-ache
· I’ve got a cold.
BUT
· I’ve got ‘flu.
· I’ve got earache.
· I’ve got toothache.
Other illnesses have no article.
ความคิดเห็น
แสดงความคิดเห็น